Once upon a time, not that long ago, you were motivated, energized and determined to start your healthy lifestyle. You exercised, you ate clean, and nothing was going to get in the way, not even all the saboteurs that seem to be all around you. This time, you were going to do it!
And then, oh-oh, one little slip and tragedy struck! You ate that extra fatty burger and you caved into the treats at work. The diet was “blown”, so you had another, and another, and another cheat. You missed a few workouts. All the sudden it’s 2 months later, the momentum is gone, and your gym bag hasn’t left the closet.
We all fall off the wagon now and again, and every time we have two choices: stay where you are and keep falling backwards, which will only take you further away from your goal, or simply accept that nobody is perfect and these minor mishaps are forgivable. So turn it around and take a few positive steps down a path with will get you closer to what it is you really want.
If this is sounding a little (or a lot) like you, here are a few ways to get back on track:
- Try a new recipe. We have many healthy recipes on our website. I bet you haven’t tried most of them. We get it, eating healthy can seem like a drag or bland and boring. Check some of these out, you’ll be sure to find something new, healthy, yet super delicious:
- Try a short workout. Even 15 or 30 minutes out of your day can be enough to kickstart your healthy routine.
- Track your food today, tomorrow, and the day after. Doesn’t matter what it is. Even if it’s not healthy, write it down and learn from it. Seeing it in writing will make a big difference.
- Buy a food scale and measure your portions. It’s the simplest way to learn how much you’re eating.
- Slow down during meals. You’ll be less likely to overeat and more likely to enjoy your meal.
- Take the stairs. Even if that’s the only healthy thing you do all day, you’ll feel stronger for it.
- Schedule your fitness. Treat it like any other important appointment in your calendar. Nobody “has” time to work out, you need to “make” time.
- Find a workout buddy. When you set up and appointment with a friend, you’re much less likely to find excuses or show up late. Remember, at the Elite Training Facility we always offer a free trial Better Body Class for new clients. Bring a friend along to try it out.
- Learn from your experience. If you don't recognize what led you to fall off the diet wagon, you'll probably react the same way the next time the situation arises. Write down a list of the situations that trigger you to overeat and plan an alternative for each. For example, if parties are your downfall, have a healthy snack beforehand to keep your appetite in check.
And if you still need more motivation, I’ll be happy to help.
It’s never too early or too late to get back on track.
You got this! Start today!